Thursday, December 23, 2010

Dipping a toe in Sourdough

I was recently given a King Arthur sourdough starter that I have grown up and begun to use.

So far I have made two loaves of the Mark Bittman/Jim Lahey No-Knead bread, modified for sourdough, and two versions of sourdough waffles.

I have been baking yeast-based No-Knead bread for some time, having been won over by the first loaf. I found the sourdough version to be similar in crust, but the crumb was not as light as the original. It was not notably sour, but this could be due to the cold temperature we keep our house. More experimentation is necessary.

The waffles are a nice byproduct of feeding the starter. When feeding the starter, a cup is removed before fresh flour is added. This cup can be given away, discarded or used to make waffles, pancakes or other quick breads. I've made both the high-fiber and classic waffles and prefer the classic.

If anyone wants some of this starter, let me know.

Tips, recipes etc. appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment